Thoughts on the Emergent...

Although I think much of the Emergent movement has definitely taken their questions to the extreme, I believe Rob Bell hit on something: "Heaven is full of forgiven people. Hell is full of forgiven people." The Bible does tell us, "While we were yet sinners Christ died for us." In a sense, every human on this Earth has already been forgiven of his or her sins... (bear with me for a second) but that does NOT mean we opt-out as Spencer Burke says (author of “A Heretics Guide to Eternity” very much the heretical, post-modern, universalistic muddle of a book).

I believe very strongly humanity is deprived, and headed for eternal separation from God. But I also think Burke hit on something when he argued the paradox that Christianity teaches when we say that Grace is a free gift but that we must say a particular prayer to receive it. Apparently saying a prayer means we still must DO something. I would point out that even Paul Washer (a Baptist missionary who is VERY Biblically sound) preaches that it is unbiblical to say that all you have to do is "say a prayer and ask Jesus into your heart." But perhaps we might make the statement that Grace is not entirely free in the sense it costs us nothing.

But I think the problem here is much deeper than semantics. People have begun fleeing the Church, and I have to wonder: what has caused so many people to abandon not only the “institution” (as an organized group is so lovingly referred to), but the doctrines of the faith. I wonder if it’s because we simply are confused as to what “belief” really is. We have inadvertently preached a message that all you have to do is “acknowledge” a truth. But just as a politician can acknowledge his opposition to warm our hearts, saying that “Jesus is Lord” or “Jesus died for my sins,” is nothing more than empty fluff if not backed by evidence, or as James calls it, “works.”

"But if we are already forgiven, why would anyone go to hell?" one might ask. The Bible does tell us the only sin that will not be forgiven, is blasphemy of the spirit. But what might this mean? Perhaps this is what Paul was talking about in Romans when he said, "They traded the TRUTH of God for a lie, and worshiped created things rather than the creator." It's the sin that Adam and Eve fell into: calling God a liar. It's the sin of Satan. If Satan is roaming the Earth, and has really not experienced ultimate separation from God (Hell) himself, could it be that Satan believes he can be his own god... that even though God says "You have no life apart from me," Satan (and all of humanity) has said, "I'd be better off without you"?

We often forget who God really is. He is a not just a God of love, but a God of Righteousness and Holiness and Justice. And we must not forget, it’s God who defines these things, not us. Too often, wayward Christians and borderline believers have allowed our true enemy (“for our battle is not against flesh and blood”) to deceive them into creating their own image of god. They have traded the truth for a lie, creating a god that is all love (as they define it), all forgiving (no one is going to hell), and all completely utterly ridiculous.

I equate it to a marriage relationship. I do not want my wife to marry me and spend a lifetime with me because she like the idea of a husband, or thought of me as another man. No matter how much I love her, I want her to spend her life with me if she loves ME! Who I am. Likewise, God doesn’t want people to spend eternity with him who simply like the idea of Supreme Being, nor even an “alternative,” “redefined,” “re-created” view if Him. No, God wants to spend eternity with those who want to spend eternity with Him.

Could it be that we are all already forgiven of our rebellion, God tells us over and over in his word that He has already made us a way. But our part is not so much to DO something, even pray a prayer... but BELIEVE! Truly, utterly, deeply, BELIEVE that our sins have been forgiven. If you truly believe something, especially something of this magnitude: it will transform you.

Craig Groeschel from LifeChurch said the other week, "If we REALLY believed in Hell... my life would reflect it." He tells of the story of Charles Peace, a convicted felon who was witnessed to before serving his death sentence. His reply to the chaplain who shared with him the message of Jesus:

"Sir, I do not share your faith. But if I did - if I believed what you say you believed - then although England were covered with broken glass from coast to coast, I would crawl the length and breadth of it on hand and knee and think the pain worthwhile, just to save a single soul from this eternal hell of which you speak." 
–Charles Peace

The problem in the Church, is that we have a lot of people, who really don't BELIEVE that Jesus died for their sins. And even if we acknowledge the fact he SAVED us, do we understand what He has saved us from?

The Bible teaches us that being living sacrifices, living a life of gratitude, is why we do everything we do. We don't try to be perfect, live a life of holiness in order to win God's favor. We do it because we BELIEVE we have been forgiven (Thus also believe we sinned in the first place and repent), and live a life of THANKFULNESS in return. That, I believe, is the Gospel message.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

The difference is head knowledge vs. heart knowledge, as I think you stated very well. And I think it's Adam and Eve, not Even.
-Yours truly,
The editor