Fireproof

Ever sit and watch a fire burn? I find it beautiful the way the blaze consumes its fuel in a violent dance of light. Regardless the size of the conflagration, it is a mesmerizing and dynamic performance. There are the occasions that I find it enticing to pass my hand quickly through the flame. But after reclaiming my prehensile organ unscathed, I wonder if one might come to believe that the fire is powerless to burn, and therefore the body could be subjected to a much longer period within the flames.

One could deduce similar things about the compassion of God, when we walk out of our own folly unharmed. But I conclude that it is simply our boastful pride that overlooks our own abuse of His loving kindness and tells us that the mercy he extends to us in the present for repentance means that we will not have to face His righteous wraith once His divine wick reaches its end.

No comments: