Illusions

I find it perplexing how many registered voters cast their ballots without even a basic understanding of the platform in which their candidates stands on. It appears there is great disregard towards concrete evidence that attests to a politician's philosophy and character, and instead we embrace an image of our own fabrication. After all, "it's not important who I am, or even who I think I am. What's important is who YOU think that I am." We care little for one's past voting record, for one's associations, or even one's paradigm; we are only interested in idealistic dreams that send "thrills" up our legs. Truth and substance matter little. As long as the mirage is something we can "believe in" today, little thought is given to the possibility if we find out its a lie tomorrow.

I guess we will believe what we want to believe.

I would also dare say this statement also applies to God, eve though the task of misrepresentation falls solely with the opposition. There have been times when faced with difficult concepts in scripture that I have caught myself thinking, "I don't want to believe in a God like that." It seems we do not wish to be bothered by His scriptural past which points to Holy judgement, nor the world-view that scripture commands our minds to mold to, nor even the uncomfortable associations that Christ embraced in His time here on Earth. No, we'd rather choose to believe in a "graven image" sculpted from half-truths and fanciful notions that grants us additional favor and more of our fleshly desires.

My conclusion is that we care more about our perception of reality that fits snug in our fairy tale world, than wake-up to the cold reality of truth. After all, rousing oneself from a pleasant sleep is almost painful in the short term, but how much more miserable do we feel when we're forced to get out of bed and realize we've missed out on life. And although a lie in politics has the capacity to damage a country, the lies we believe about God have the capacity to devastate our souls.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

It wouldn't be me if I didn't say I spotted a typo. But I digress, this post made me wonder which candidate you were typing about or if you were commenting on the whole process in general. I also have difficulty with parts of the Bible particularly Old vs. New Testaments sometimes and the in's and out's of the new covenant. I just hope I don't get the message from God that Ezekiel got to bake with human dung (Ezk. 4:11). Yuck!