Facebook


I have to admit something: I hate Facebook. To be honest, I have an account, but rather dislike the idea of having one. My disdain has nothing to do with functionality or asthetics, and really has nothing to do with the website itself. I simply do not care for social media in general. “Why?” you ask. Well, many reasons (one being the fact that social media is profoundly narcissistic; however, my stance on not wishing to be associated with this new fad is equally prideful, but I digress). The main reason for my loathing is due to the simple fact that I do not have the time.

Now, I am not claiming VIP status by such a comment, for I think none of us really possess the time required to keep track of every individual we accept as a “friend.” This has led some to respond more coldly with request of camaraderie by ignoring or outright rejecting those not of the elite category: “Real Friends.” Some have found other methods of management, or have simply opted out of this “community” altogether.

I would venture to guess that in truth we are all apathetic towards the majority of the world’s population. There are probably only a handful of people that we really “care about.” However, despite this reality, I could literally spend all of my time keeping track of the “important” events in the lives of my friends. Even with the wonderful blessing of a singular location to gather up to date information, such a task allows me no time to live my own life. If anything, Facebook should make us painfully aware of the impossibility of staying connected with every person we meet. And attempting to do so quickly becomes overwhelming.

Fortunately, there is one who can keep track of every person, even those that continually ignore His friend requests.

I find it absolutely astonishing that the Creator of the universe keeps track of me. In fact, he keeps track of every hair on my head (Luke 12:7), not just the status changes I choose to post. And He’s always available and online (Matthew 28:20). I’ve never once had to send out a “poke.” He not only pays attention to every comment, but responds to every prayer. He’s really the only friend I can ever truly rely on.

And what’s more astounding is that he cares for you just as much. Not that you (my reader) are of any lesser value than myself, but that “you” is plural and extends not only to every soul now living on this earth, but every soul created from the dawn of time to its dusk. That’s a lot of accounts to keep track of.

We should feel so small and so insignificant, because we are.

But also realize that God is really, really big, and really, really important, because He is.

I can only conclude that God keeps up with me because He loves me. So much that He offers me true community with Him. Not just as a “friend,” but as a “real friend,” one who gives His life up for another (John 15:13).

But more importantly, He keeps up with you too, because He loves you just as much.

No comments: