Race

Is it offensive to say that I’m annoyed at the amount of press in regards to our “first black president”? I think my irritation is only exacerbated by the fact that race seemed to trump principle, and one finds himself in an awkward position when expected to celebrate regardless of political affiliation.

It could also be argued that part of the absurdity lies in the fact Bill Clinton held this title before Obama, and it makes one wonder if Obama will eventually pass the mantle to another who might prove "blacker," however that may be interpreted. I sometimes wonder if we are so starved for significance that we’ll cling to any statistical importance that places us first in something. They do this in sports all the time: “He’s the first receiver to make a twenty yard or more reception with less than two minutes in the third quarter when the temperature was below freezing and the wind speed over five miles an hour.” Perhaps the "magnitude" of every play is now spilling over into the political arena.

Now, I'll concede that perhaps its my generational experience that contrasts my perspective from one who may be twenty years my senior. I grew up in a racially mixed environment, and events of slavery and oppression were little more than factual data in a history textbook. I have never been physically or emotionally wounded by racial hatred, and I know full well that I fall into a rather comfortable majority. I don't doubt that I lack some perspective on the issue, so these are honest questions that I ask.

But I would think the title of "first black" anything would prove offensive, as if the “black man” needed extra applause for his efforts. Capability is neither helped nor hindered by skin color. My guess is that many consider this "first black president" a milestone to be celebrated, as if we’ve overcome a fault in our humanity. But I hardly see racism as a thing of the past. In fact, if we’ve truly moved beyond our prejudices, his skin color should hold no merit whatsoever, correct?

My personal belief is that its the offended, not the offenders, that hold the keys to forward progress. Not to diminish one's pain, but no one can strip you of your humanity. It’s the discriminator that has forgotten what makes him human, and if anything, he should be pitied. Too many victims hold a death grip to the past, and such a tight fist of bitterness brings with it entitlement and a demand for reparations, and makes it impossible to advance.

But ultimately my conclusion is that although not all of us have been wounded as victims, ALL of us have played the part of the villain. Every single human being on this planet bears in his or her heart racist and prejudiced thoughts that devalue and dehumanize their fellow persons for one reason or another. This is not just a white-on-black problem. This is a human dilemma. And until we realize that we are all guilty, until we are willing to forgive and move on, we will continue to enslave ourselves in bitterness and resentment—chains of our own choosing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are really 2 sides to this. You can make a good argument that this has been over emphasized and that the 'first' overshadows policy, but there is an important sociological aspect to this.

The fact is we are not black and probably can not truly appreciate what this means for the black community as a whole. Sure its symbolic, but it suddenly re-validates and reengages an entire group that has not seen itself as part of the "whole". Sure, this is perception and may not be accurate, but the view does exist.

My biggest fear is honestly that a poor administration can hurt the cause of equality and create more division. If ho goes down in history as a terrible president that could sadly overshadow the burst of the racial barrier.

We "white folk" have been taught to ignore race and we are now perplexed that it is allowed to be an issue, but I don't think we should throw out the significance of this in demonstrating to everyone that we really, honestly, do not use race as a criteria to exclude in our generation.

William K. Neal said...

Interesting points, and I don't doubt that there is a gap in perception that may hinder my reasoning. However, I think your biggest fear is valid, and if he continues to govern as he has so far, I believe he will not be remembered too fondly (ex: Jimmy Carter, who also ran a campaign on "hope" and "change."). But might this be the problem with drawing so much identity from one's race? Maybe being in the majority lends itself to more easily forget one's color, but I think it's dangerous to put such a high priority on it. Besides, if we wait on external forces to correct our own perception, we're handicapping ourselves. Racism may be destructive, but I think bitterness deals an even heavier blow.