Follow

In the twenty first chapter of John, the disciples, all self-assured failures, have left their master's work and returned to the comfortable life they lived before they met Jesus. They fish all night and catch nothing. Apparently, they've lost even their skills in their former trade. But then some man from shore suggests a unique approach--dropping their nets on "the other side." While this may seem like a sarcastic remark, there is immense symbolism in this statement (we’ll leave that for another time). After hauling up a boat load (literally) of fish, John recognizes Jesus (who performed this same miracle just a few years earlier). That's when Peter impulsively dives into the water and swims ashore.

Now John does not record anything of significance until the disciples haul their full nets on the beach and count the fish (more significance). However, I would make the guess that about half-way to the shore, Peter slows his stride as he remembers the last time he was with Jesus.

"I don't care if every schmuck here runs away, I'll go with you to the death." He exclaimed. And then several hours later he's calling down curses on himself, denying he ever laid eyes on Jesus.

I wonder if Peter' stomach started to cramp as he reached shallow water. The thought had to cross his mind that every time he left the boat, he found himself drowning in failure. I should have stayed with the others, he might have said to himself as he paused to let the boat catch up to him. I’m sure there were several awkward moments of Peter standing on the beach, dripping wet.

Once they ate, Jesus takes Peter for a walk to have a more private moment, although John invites himself to tag along. “Peter,” Jesus asks, “Do you love me deeply (Agape)?”

What kind of question is that? I wonder if Peter was expecting a rash rebuke or at the very least a pointed, “Are you sorry for denying me?” But Jesus doesn’t even say, “Promise me you will never mess up again?” Jesus isn’t looking for apologies, proper conduct, or even unbreakable vows. He looks to the heart: “Do you love me?”

“Of course, Lord,” answers Peter, “You know I love you like a friend (Phileo).” The same question is asked again, and the same answer given. Jesus was asking for a level of commitment, one which Peter does not feel he can give. He must have remembered his previous brash behavior and decided against the impulsive devotion he once showed.

But what happens next is curious. Jesus reduces the requested commitment. "Peter, will you love me like a friend?" To this, Peter could agree.

Christ was not lowering his expectations; his prophetic remarks to Peter's future confirms this. I think Jesus understands the pride and fears that keep all of us from remaking commitments we so recently broke. He understands our flaws, and will let us take baby-steps for our own self-confidence.

Then Jesus gives Peter a simple command, “Follow Me.”

You would think Peter might jump at the request, or perhaps inquire to where, but rather he looks back at John and asks, “What about him?”

Jesus’ response: “What’s it to you? I asked YOU!”

How often does God give me a command, and I look to others for confirmation? Like Barak in the book of Judges (4:8), I’m prone to telling God, “I’ll go if she goes.” And like Peter, I often hesitate unless I’m assured of company and moral support.

However, unlike Peter, I am inclined to stay in the boat until I’m assured of success. I look down on Peter’s failures and claim robust faith when I shrug at impending doom, or charge carelessly ahead. But what I call faith is often irresponsibility.

The conclusions that I draw from this chapter tell me that God is not interested in a faith that is proud and confident, yet devoid of action. He wants a faith that walks in “perhaps” (1 Samuel 14:6), a faith that is active, that is manifested by movement. We are assured of nothing except God Himself, and stumbles and falls are merely evidences of our advancement. Besides, results are His responsibility. Mine is to take the next step—to FOLLOW!

1 comment:

kelly summers said...

I am studying, John and I am using Youversion. As I was reading John 25:15-21, I saw you link. I think that you did a great job talking through it and I really like the last paragraph. Faith & love = action.