Grace


A while back, we opened our mailbox to find an astonishing contrast in our mail. It gave me great pause to ponder, and I encourage you to do the same.

In fact, before proceeding, you may take a second to consider what conclusions you might draw from these two surprisingly similar, yet drastically different images.



Often, it is images like these that become the rallying cry for those who advocate social justice. I completely understand why, especially if one experienced such juxtapositions in person. Even more understandable if one’s faith drives their impulse. It is all too easy to mine scripture for passages that command us to action in eliminating such things as poverty.

However, recently, Fox News’ Glenn Beck outraged millions by his urging individuals to leave their church if “Social Justice” appeared in their pastor’s vocabulary. I personally seek clarification regarding this inflammatory comment, because I might actually agree.

Now before labeling me a heretic and suggesting that I am saying the Bible does not command us to help the afflicted and the poor, hear me out. I believe we should be gripped by the calamity in Haiti and the carnage in Darfur. We should also be disturbed when we see suffering and struggle in our own cities. How can a compassionate heart not desire to lend aid? It is our duty as fellow human beings.

So then why would I want us to discard the very solution?

Well, because it’s not.

Social Justice (‘sō sh ǝl  ‘jǝstis)
noun
the distribution of advantages and disadvantages within a society.

The term “social justice” often implies that we make our appeal to the government to help the poor, feed the hungry, and redistribute income to those “less fortunate.” The problem I have with this idea is that the church, once the source for education, healthcare, and alms, has abandoned its post. We now look to our elected leaders to be our provider rather than God. Our country’s republic may be an institution of God (as with every nation), but it was never created to be His hands and feet. That duty was reserved for the body of Christ, however shriveled these appendages have become.

In addition, even when the church is seen as the dispenser of “social justice,” I believe the gospel becomes severely cheapened. Not to say it is not our duty to reach out, but we make the fatal assumption that those who “have not” are the ones who have been somehow treated unfairly. This belief is an admission to a misunderstanding of scripture, humanity, and God. This crucial error to our intentions is something that must be addressed.

We need to abandon this idea of Social Justice…

and adopt "Social Grace."

Now, this term has often been used to define our ability to politely integrate into society, but I propose a new definition.1

Social Grace (‘sō sh ǝl  grās)
noun
the recognition that we have been given more than we deserve, and in response give to others who are equally undeserving.

Too often we mistakenly wonder why innocent people suffer, forgetting that we are born guilty because we are born into sin.2 We should not question the existence of poverty and hunger, but rather prosperity and wealth. For how could such blessings exist in a world that is so saturated in evil? There is not a person among us that deserves to be rich. Not one of us deserves healthcare, a job, or even a full stomach (despite the political rhetoric today). The reality is that humanity does not deserve its next breath… and yet God grants it to us anyway.

Not too long ago one evening, as I was refueling my car at the gas station. I looked out across the road at the abundance of lit stores and restaurants that lined the highway. I was suddenly reminded that I live in a land of plenty, where the “necessities” of life are often luxuries to much of the world. I began contemplating our blessings, our richness. Even during this economic recession, the average American enjoys a rather comfortable lifestyle.

That’s when the question suddenly came to me, “God, why is this country blessed with such wealth and prosperity? And why do I live in it?”

Then the answer came surprisingly quickly, “Because I chose to. It’s a picture of my grace. It’s a picture of my undeserved blessings.”

My conclusion is that church should reflect such love, cease giving out of guilt and start giving out of grace. It is time we correct our view of justice, and allow God to be the sole dispenser of it. We need only to administer what distinguishes us from every other religion and is the only beacon of hope for all of humanity: Grace.



Notes:
1. I have not heard of this term used in this way before, but I will not necessarily claim to be the first.
2. Romans 3:10-12, Romans 5:12

4 comments:

Keith said...

Your emphasis on grace as the impetus for doing deeds of mercy is spot on. Those who have been transformed by God's grace will inevitably seek to do good to and for their neighbor. They will be motivated by the grace given to them, and they will have as their end the hope that their neighbor will respond positively, in repentance and faith, to the God of grace. Here's a link to a conversation between Carson, Keller, and Piper that addresses this same issue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzbSlQovq-0&feature=PlayList&p=FC54B836369C32D1&index=0

Back to the first part of your post, I'm not so sure leaving a church b/c a pastor might use the phrase "social justice" is the best or correct course of action. First, one would need to consider the context in which the phrase is used, and the general ministry of the church. Second, it may be that you are called to be an agent of change in a church that is weak on understanding and living out the gospel. Those who are lost in the pew need to gospel just as much as those lost outside the confines of the church. God calls some to churches that don't meet all their needs, with the hope of doing a restorative work in a body that might be dying.

William K. Neal said...

Thanks for your comments, Keith. I very much appreciate them. I agree with you on your second point too. I know I should have clarified my statement "I MIGHT actually agree." I think Glenn Beck was trying to stir up some contraversy, so the absolute nature of his comment should indeed be questioned. So I agree with your conclusions that we should first consider the context and try to be an agent of change. I think people view their church as a club rather than a family, and are too quick to depart at the first sign of disagreement or hurt feelings.

Anonymous said...

I am generally troubled by any effort to separate Christ's commands that we take care of the needy from other aspects of the gospel. I think care for the needy and suffering is non-negotiable.

I also don't find it helpful personally to think that poverty and hunger are what we deserve, though I agree completely that all good things are gifts of God. He made the world such that from it we can receive what is required for life, even though the world's fallen state means needs are not universally met in all times and places, often because our natural response seems to be to hoard rather than share.

Because "Social Justice" is such an emotionally loaded term and so often associated with an aspect of the church that focuses too little on the salvation message and too much on statist politics, I relate to the desire for another term, and "Social Grace" is a good one. On the other hand, you'll find lots of demands in the Scriptures that the haves care for the have-nots, and it's not a concept to abandon. It is, to use an unfashionable term, a duty.

Robyn K.

Unknown said...

Rarely would a redeemed soul cry out for justice, accept possibly for God's enemies as David sometimes did. If justice is applied, we all end up in Hell and anyone who has even a basic understanding of the Gospel understands this. Instead, those who have managed a glimpse of God's holiness cry out humbly for mercy and the opportunity to serve Him rather than settle a score. The concept of social justice, especially as it's used in liberation theology is motivated from the flesh and devoid of the Spirit.