The Sanctioning of Human Sacrifice Part 3

(The intent of this post is not to attack a particular person, but a particular mindset.)

"A woman's ability to decide how many children to have and when, without interference from the government, is one of the most fundamental rights we possess. It is not just an issue of choice, but equality and opportunity for all women." -Barack Obama

Although we could argue the level of this "right's" fundamentality, I've determined that I agree with this statement. I am pro-choice when it comes to family planning and when to have children. Every woman has the right to choose--to not have sex until they are ready to have children.

I am sure some are offended by abstinence, and are appalled at the concepts of personal responsibility and sexual restraint. After all, unrestricted sex without consequences is an inalienable right endowed by our creator, correct? And if our flawed birth-control methods fail us, we should be entitled to eliminate the life that we failed to "prevent," right?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing the proper use of contraceptives in the proper relationships, but to so carelessly address these devices as instruments of "safe sex," is destructively deceptive. It not only reduces sex to a physical activity, and thus our being to a one-dimensional form, but it encourages lifestyles of inhibition that treat sexuality with reckless negligence.

"I explained my belief that few women made the decision to terminate a pregnancy casually; that any pregnant woman felt the full force of the moral issues involved and wrestled with her conscience when making that decision; that I feared a ban on abortion would force women to seek unsafe abortions, as they had once done in this country." -Barack Obama

I am deeply troubled by our exaltation of sexual liberty and our apathy towards life itself. If one is to go so far as to call this decision, "a moral choice," then one must believe the pre-born child is human. So how can one sanction the "right" for a woman to "terminate" that life simply on the basis that one believes she "wrestled with her conscience," as if engaging in the moral struggle rights a wrong. What if I "wrestled" with killing a man before I fired the gun? Does my ethical conflict now absolve me of any guilt? And furthermore, this deceptive use of the phrase "unsafe abortions" may lead some to believe that its antithesis actually exists.

Well, what about "[providing] compassionate assistance to rape victims"? I find nothing compassionate about abortion. Counseling and therapy are necessary, but I find it outrageous that some hold the pretense that eliminating the resulting child will somehow heal the wounds of a sexual assault.

I assume that many individuals have simply not thought through the ramifications of their opinions, and simply allowed the empty calorie talking points of media to pass through without proper digestion. But I conclude the majority may find themselves simply victims of prideful veneration of self above all else, even above their own offspring.

Link:
Obama's Quotes

No comments: