Hurricane Discomfort

If you are in the United States and have watched or read any news on Hurricane Ike, you know about the devastation it left in Galveston, Texas. Last time I checked, 17 people have been confirmed dead in the aftermath of this storm. But how much reporting has been done on the country of Haiti, which Ike left in ruin on its way to the Gulf? The death toll there has risen to over 500, and those that are still alive have been without shelter (not just a home) and food for weeks. But how many of us think much about that? Truth be told, I think very little about those victims in Texas. Perhaps if it had taken place in Georgia, I would be more troubled by nature’s fury. Maybe not. It is not the loss of life, nor the damage to property that concerns me. I am much more bothered by the rising gas prices that are the result of damaged refineries in the Gulf. My thoughts and prayers are more anchored in the reality of the tightening choke-hold from my budget that threaten my own comfort, rather than the removed atrocities that are afflicting people I’ve never met.

And then I wonder, how is it that I am ever able to conclude that I am a good person?

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Glad to know you were so concerned over your good friend who now lives in TX. I feel so cared for. PS-I was ALONE during said hurricane!
I'm just kidding, really when the day came I was more upset at the thought of not being able to watch UGA play on national television than all the people that were about to be homeless or lose loved ones. And I know what you mean, we as Americans don't even think about the loss of life in the Carribbean (sp.?). -Jones