Legos

I scrubbed my hand over the mound of plastic Lego™ pieces, spreading a chorus of clinking plastic blocks further over the floor. My eyes scanned the pile of red, yellow, white, and blue, hoping to find some hidden gem.

Sighing, I looked back to the small bricks attached to the larger one in my left hand. I used to consider myself proficient in the skill of building when it came to my favorite toy (both from my childhood and today). However, after twenty minutes of failing to create even a semblance of something, I was beginning to panic under the assumption that my Lego™ mastery was coming into question.

I was also displeased with the limited selection my nephew could offer. My eyes took another pass and then looked around the room. The television was quietly flickering a cartoon. A black caped superhero swooped down on several generic villains. Several punches were thrown and a car exploded into a nearby building.

I bet insurance is high in that city.

I looked over at my five-year-old nephew a few feet away, playing quietly and contently with several previously constructed items.

I returned to the cartoon. Maybe this is a little too violent for his age.

I looked back to my nephew. He’s not really paying any attention, but I guess you can never be too careful. Then I looked down at my pathetic excuse for a house. Maybe I should just build something else.

I glanced around the scattered pieces over the carpet. It sure would be a lot easier if I had some instructions, a picture, or better yet a complex model that I could intricately study.

I guess this truth permeates every area of life. I’ve become especially aware of this truth as I’ve embarked on the journey of fatherhood. Perhaps it’s not so much about what I let my son watch, or eat, or experience. It’s more about what I watch, what I eat, how I respond to stressful situations, and the way I interact with my family and friends. I need to be more than a good father, I need to be a healthy individual, a loving husband, a trustworthy friend, a dedicated volunteer, a responsible citizen, and most importantly a faithful disciple of Christ.

I can only conclude that everything I do is a model, an intricate study for my son to observe and emulate. That’s what he will use to build a life from. No pressure.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Great post! Sorry it took so long to give you feedback. I love two things: the TM and the insurance comment. When I allow myself to think about how much my daughter already watches everything I do, and not only her, but all the kids I teach, it really makes me watch how I act and make sure that Christ is shining through me.

Nathan said...

Just wanted to say with regards to the comment left on my blog that I hope you don't have a "cannon" as in a war machine, but hopefully a "canon" as in Pachelbel's.

-Your Editor