Meet with God, Part 1

 

“The elders will listen to you, and then you and the elders of Israel must go to the king of Egypt and tell him, ‘The Lord, the God of the Hebrews, has met with us. So now, let us go three days’ journey into the wilderness, so that we may sacrifice to the Lord our God.’” –Exodus 3:18, NET

Here, God has appeared to Moses in the form of a burning bush and is giving Moses instructions as to how to approach Pharaoh. After first going to the elders to announce God’s promise to deliver them out of Egypt and into a “promised land” (Exo 3:16-17), he is to announce to Pharaoh God’s command.  While there are several points that intrigued me, I found this one exceptionally fascinating: “The Lord… has met with us.” Met, with US? I’m confused. Had not the great “I AM” (Exo 3:14) appeared to Moses alone (Exo 3:2)?

But then it struck me. What had Aaron and the Elders received?

“So you are to speak to him and put the words in his mouth. And as for me, I will be with your mouth and with his mouth, and I will teach you both what you must do. He will speak for you to the people, and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were his God.” –Exodus 4:15-16, NET

“I will be with your mouth.” Just as Moses was to speak through Aaron, God was speaking through them both. God’s word delivered, even when relayed and passed on through other mediums, does not lose power or purpose or even His presence.

God MEETS with His people through His Word.

Let’s keep digging. There’s more.

No comments: