Our Condition


"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either cold or hot! So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I am going to vomit you out of my mouth!" -Revelation 3:15, 16


“It’s the nature of air conditioners. They leak,” my friend told me. His system had leaked Freon ever since he moved into his home several years ago. I also started noticing that it was not just my unit that accumulated frost often in colder weather, but many of my neighbors’ as well. So according to my friend (and my own observations), my “problem” was common—normal, in fact.

So, every summer I simply called the local heating and air guy to come and refuel my system. It seemed to function fine, although by the end of the summer the air was not very cold. My power usage was also much higher than I was used to. I thought it was just a part of home ownership. I sure do miss the $80 apartment power bills, I bemoaned as I opened the dreaded monthly envelope.

In addition, during the winter months, the inside air from the vents always seemed tepid at best. “It’s the nature of heat pumps,” I rationalized to my wife. “In order to save energy, they blow out air that is only slightly warmer than the temperature of the room.”

“I wish we had gas heat, then,” she replied.

Me too, I thought as I cranked the thermostat down another degree in order to save a few bucks.

However, after seven years I took another opinion and called a highly recommended repairman to look at my system. “No,” he corrected, “You should not be losing air pressure. I’d say your system has a pretty bad leak.” So, about a thousand dollars and a few replaced parts (just out of warranty) later, my system was, for the first time, declared “leak free.” Strangely enough, I noticed a drop in the power bill, especially in the winter months. Apparently a heat pump is supposed to blow out hot air. Who knew?

I conclude that I’m in the same condition. I so often look to my neighbors to compare my problems, thinking that if we all share the same dilemmas, I’m okay. Yet if we are ever to function as we should, if we are to ever accomplish our purpose, we have to first compare ourselves to the only model that matters, the unbroken one—Jesus. Only after this admission can we call upon and surrender to His restoration process in order to be a source of hot or cold, no longer lukewarm.

No comments: